Thursday, May 8, 2008

Hopenscope "The Bull"



My Dad's training career began in 1972. The farm was sold. Also he sold his business as a general insurance agent, to pursue the love of his life. Having the chance to work with and train Thoroughbred race horses. In the spring of 1972 my father went to work at Woodbine for trainer and friend Glen Magnusson, at the Greenwood spring meet. My Dad thought that the experience working as a racing horse groom would serve him well. Also he wanted to scout out some horses to purchase to begin his training career. The story begins with a 3 furlong workout from the gate, of three of Glen Magnusson’s two years olds. One colt was owned by Tom Barker and his son Tom Jr. The colts name was "Two Toms". He was by Malicious out of a Saidam mare named "Gramps Girl" He was a liver chestnut and stood about 15.1 hands high. Which is boarder line small for a racehorse. Getting back to the workout. Two Toms got left leaving the gate and gave a big adventure to his competitors. But quickly that changed. For Two Toms was a natural racehorse and had talent. He won the workout easily by two lengths going away! My father quickly noticed something special in this son of Malicious. After watching that impressive performance he decided to try and purchase Two Toms from the Barkers. My Dad approached the Barkers and asked them. What were the plans for there 2 year old colt? They replied that they planed to ship him to the U.S. to race and would try and win a bet with him there. My Dad asked if they would consider to sell there colt because my Dad was interested to buy him. After some negotiations. Two Toms was purchased by my Dad for $9,500. My Dad's first equine athlete would prove to be a good one! First his name had to be changed. "Two Toms" held no meaning for my parents. My Dad came up with the name "Hopenscope". The colts father Malicious was by Helioscope. The hope came from. Hoping that his training career would get off the ground and be a success.

Nick names are very popular in the horse racing world. Both for the colorful and one of kind people who wind up working at the racetrack. Also for the horses themselves. If the horses are popular or unique. Chances are they will have a nick name or stable name. Hopenscope quickly was nick named "The Bull" by my father. Hopenscope was a man's man. He was tough with a capital "T", and also had a vicious mean streak running through him. This personality of his. Would work well for him during his racing career. Hopenscope was notorious for biting. This is typical behavior for a male horse. It's the way they show dominant, and earn respect. I think "The Bull" just enjoyed doing it. It was a test for my Dad to look after and groom him. If you were not careful you would be soon running for the first aid kit. In 1972 I was only 12 years old. I was just starting to gain an appreciation for the horses, and the Sport of Kings. As an enthusiastic young man I just loved Hopenscope. I was scared of him at that point in my life. And did not dare go near him. But thought that he was the next Man O' War for sure! Right from the start of my Dad's training career. It was in his opinion. Not to rush 2 year old's to the races. This is sadly true in racing. That a lot of young horses are damaged or ruined by inpatient owners and trainers in this very difficult business. Those who wait and give there horses the time, can be greatly rewarded down the strecth. The "Bull" made the first start of his career on July 27th, 1972 at Ft. Erie race track. My Dad acquired Sandy Hawley. Canada's premier jockey to ride him. I will do an entire post on my favorite jockeys. Later on this blog. Hopenscope trained very well for his, and my father's debut. The pressure was on my Dad. The starting gate still seemed to give the Bull some problems as he broke poorly from the gate. In doing so, he severely bruised a hip. Even in doing so, he still almost won the race. Finishing second, getting beat a neck as he drifted out badly, down the strength. I have included a rare photo of the finish of his first race. He returned to the races back at Woodbine on September 7th in a maiden allowance event. Again dandy Sandy Hawley rode the Bull. And again he broke very poorly from the gate. It took this very intelligent race horse awhile to figure out the starting gate. However he did circle and over power this field of thirteen 2 year olds, and win going away by 1 1/2 length. I have included the first win photo. It is a great picture of this talented race horse, and the young Wolfe Family. I'm (Donny W.) in the front, dressed in blue. Of note on the first win picture. R.J Rose is listed as the trainer. He was, an still remains a close family friend today. He saddled Hopenscope for my Dad in 1972. My father officially received his trainer licenced in 1973.

No comments: