Thursday, May 8, 2008

Woodglen Farm




My parents Charlotte and Sheldon W. Owned and operated Woodglen Farm back in the 1960's. I'm not sure how my Dad came up with that name. I will try and find out from him. The farm was located about 8 miles north of Major McKenzie Dr. on Jane St. in Maple, Ontario. If anybody asked me where my hometown is. My reply is Canada's wonderland, Maple, Ontario. I did have the pleasure of growing up on the farm. What better life can a person have then that. You do get very use to the peaceful and tranquil environment that country life provides. Also I was always surrounded by animals. We always had lots of dogs and cats, and horses running around. So I became very relaxed and familiar around animals. My parents started as breeders of thoroughbreds. The highlight of there breeding career was there first born. A colt by Clem, from there first broodmare. Her name was Esteemed. Her first son was called "Bow Shannon". He turned out to be a very good racehorse. He won many races. His biggest win, was winning the 1969 Jacques Cartier Stakes. Race horses have to be lucky during there careers. Any serious injury can have a very negative effect on the horses overall accomplishments. Because of an injury Bow Shannon never truly reached his true potential. But he was a very successful racehorse. Living on the farm was fantastic. However my parents couldn't really make the breeding part of the business in a profitable endeavor. So in 1971 Woodglen farm was sold, and we moved back to the city, to North York to be exact. And my father would start out on his journey as a Thoroughbred horse trainer. Which was the true love in life. My Dad named the farm Woodglen because of all the beautiful tress, that surrounded the very nice farm house that my parents had built. It was a very happy place to be!
An original stall plaque when my mom and dad sold yearlings back in the 60's.

No comments: